Police ID suspect in brutal beating, robbery of woman - WNEM TV 5

Police ID suspect in brutal beating, robbery of woman

Posted: Updated:
Source: MDOC Source: MDOC

Authorities have named the man they say is responsible for the brutal attack and beating of a Saginaw woman.

The attack happened about 9:42 a.m. on Feb. 6 at 100 S. Jefferson, Suite 401 in Saginaw.

Investigators said a 65-year-old woman, who works inside the building, was robbed of her purse and severely beaten. Family members have identified the victim as Kathy Rogers.

She was taken to Covenant by ambulance and later airlifted to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. At last check, she was out of the ICU, but still has a long road ahead of her.

"We ask that you would join us in praying for justice," said Matt Rogers, the victim's son. "This experience has shook my family to our core. We have cried many tears and there will be more tears as we process what has happened."

>>Read Matt Rogers statement<<

>>GoFundMe page for Kathy Rogers<<

Police said the suspect took Rogers' coat and purse when he left the building.

Saginaw Police Chief Bob Ruth said if it hadn't been for someone noticing the suspect throw away that coat and purse, they may not have found the Rogers in time.

"An observant citizen saw something that looked out of the ordinary, stepped forward and called 911. That's how the ball got rolling on this and that's how we ended up finding the victim," Ruth said.

The suspect, 34-year-old Timothy Green, was taken into custody at 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 7 in the emergency room at Covenant Hospital. He was there seeking mental health treatment, police said.

Ruth said one of the main reasons behind the suspect's capture was because of security cameras placed throughout the city.

"Through good investigative work our patrol officers and detectives located some of those cameras from the businesses and we got the footage of the individual suspect," Ruth said.

Saginaw Det. Sgt. Matthew Gerow said Green has prior convictions and served at least 12 years in prison for offenses such as car theft. Gerow said none of the crimes were against people.

A search of the Michigan Department of Corrections shows Green was on parole at the time of the attack for arson, unlawfully driving away in an automobile, resisting and obstructing a police officer, and stolen property more than $1,000 but less than $20,000.

Green was arraigned Tuesday, Feb. 13 on felony charges of assault with intent to murder and unarmed robbery. 

He was denied bond. 

As for why Green attacked Rogers, Ruth said that matter is still under investigation.

Copyright 2018 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.