Good Samaritan rescues man from burning home - WNEM TV 5

Good Samaritan rescues man from burning home

Posted: Updated:
Source: WNEM Source: WNEM
BAY COUNTY, MI (WNEM) -

One man had to be taken to the hospital after his Bay County mobile home caught fire and destroyed.

Monitor Township Firefighters were called to 2852 E. Biscayne Drive on Sunday, March 18; but before they could arrive, a good Samaritan rescued the man, his wife, and daughter.

Casual Country Estates Mobile Home Park manager James Davidson said he pulled former Bay County Sheriff candidate Kenneth Zolnierek, his wife, and daughter from the home.

"It was about 6:30, between 6:30 and 7 p.m. last night, and it literally took three minutes to burn down," Davidson said. 

Davidson was across the street with a neighbor when he saw the home burst into flames.

Zolnierek had severe burns and smoke inhalation and is at Hurley Medical Center.

A family dog was not able to escape in time.

"Me and everybody that was with me, ran over here, and did as much as we could possibly do," Davidson said.

Investigators said the fire may have been sparked by smoking with oxygen in the house.

"These trailers aren't built for fire, but because of the oxygen tanks it just went up even faster," Davidson said.

However, without Davidson's quick thinking a lot more than property damage could have happened.

But he still insists that he's no hero.

"Well that's you know my job," Davidson said. "Just to make sure everyone in this park is as safe as possible.

Copyright 2018 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.