Standoff suspect identified; 9 officers on leave after shooting - WNEM TV 5

Standoff suspect identified; 9 officers on leave after shooting

Posted: Updated:
Kevin Hall (Source: Michigan Department of Corrections) Kevin Hall (Source: Michigan Department of Corrections)

A man is dead after a standoff with police in Genesee Township. 

Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser said the situation started after an armed robbery at 8:55 a.m. at the Chemical Bank on Genesee Road in Genesee County.

"He grabbed a teller at that bank and demanded money. After he got the money he got into and fled in a white van," Kaiser said.

Police were after the suspects when the situation turned into a standoff about 9 a.m. at the intersection of Richfield and Center Roads. 

One man and one woman were taken into custody, but a third man remained inside a white van, armed and barricaded, according to Kaiser.

Our reporters at the scene said they heard "a whole bunch of gunshots" just before 10:30 a.m., and Kaiser confirmed to TV5 a 40-year-old Flint man exited the van with what appeared to be a weapon in his hands, and started walking towards police, when he was shot. He died at the scene.

The suspect has been identified as Kevin Hall.

Four Michigan State Police troopers and five Flint City Police officers shot at the man, and are on paid administrative leave during the investigation, Kaiser said.

Kaiser did say a small amount of money was taken during the bank robbery.

"It was crazy, very scary. A lot of people in the parking lot were afraid and didn't want to leave," said Devon Anger, witness.

Anger saw the whole situation unfold.

"They kept telling him, 'you have to get out of the vehicle. Put your hands out the window.' This was going on for 15 to 20 minutes," Anger said.

Anger said he thinks police tried their best to end the standoff peacefully.

"There was 10 to 15 officers with assault rifles and handguns drawn just watching the situation, trying their best to get him out," Anger said.

Katie Guinn works at Grandma's Kitchen, which is near the intersection where the standoff took place.

She and her coworkers were forced into lockdown Friday morning.

"It's kind of a scary situation because you don't know what's going on and you have to be on lockdown. You don't know what's happening," Guinn said.

Rynelle Walker said he witnessed the whole thing from his business.

"I watched the third guy get out of the van from the side, could only see his feet. I watched him get out of the back of the van and from there, shots were just fired. Dropped to the ground and they kept shooting," Walker said.

Copyright 2018 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.