Apartment fire leaves CMU students without place to stay during - WNEM TV 5

Apartment fire leaves CMU students without place to stay during finals week

Posted: Updated:
Source: 9 & 10 News Source: 9 & 10 News
CBS -

A fire destroyed a unit at a Mount Pleasant apartment building and left some Central Michigan University students preparing for finals week without a place to stay.

It happened about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 2 at campus Habitat Apartments. 

Justin Conway said things got a bit chaotic.

“So I opened the door like, ‘What’s going on?’ They were like ‘There’s a fire.' I’m like fire? Yeah, ya gotta get out and get out of the building. I’m thinking it’s like a small fire. Why do I need to leave the building? Come to find out, I go out into the hallway and I start disappearing, so obviously there’s a lot of smoke everywhere," Conway said.

Mt. Pleasant police said no one was hurt, but two people lived in the apartment that was destroyed. Officials said 25 people lived in the building, but it’s not clear how many were displaced because of the fire.

The fire is still under investigation, but police think it may have started from an oven.

Copyright 2018 WNEM (Meredith Corporation) / CBS News / 9 & 10 News. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.