Sheriff: 4 dead, multiple injured, suspect charged following shooting at Oxford High School
OXFORD, Mich. (WNEM) - Four people are dead and seven others were injured after a shooting at Oxford High School in Oakland County on Tuesday.
The four deceased victims were identified as students, 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin, and 17-year-old Justin Shilling.
The latest victim, Shilling, passed away at McLaren Oakland Hospital in Pontiac Wednesday morning, according to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office.
One of the seven others who were injured was a teacher, Oakland County Undersheriff Michael McCabe said, adding the rest were students.
The ages and conditions of those victims are as follows:
- 14-year-old male student with a gunshot wound to the hand has been discharged.
- 17-year-old female student with a gunshot wound to the neck has been discharged.
- 15-year-old male student with a gunshot wound to the leg has been discharged.
- 17-year-old male student with a gunshot wound to the hip has been discharged.
- 47-year-old female teacher with a gunshot wound to the shoulder has been discharged.
- 14-year-old female student with gunshot wounds to the chest and neck has been discharged.
- 17-year-old female student with a gunshot wound to the chest is in stable condition.
The suspected shooter, 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley, a sophomore at Oxford High School, was arrested minutes after the first 911 call came in. He was arraigned in the 52nd District Court on Wednesday, Dec. 1.
McCabe said there was no resistance during the arrest and the suspect has asked for a lawyer. The suspect has not made any statements as to a motive. Investigators also recovered a handgun.
Investigators do not believe there are any other suspects at this time and they believe the shooter acted alone.
Investigators will be examining the shooter’s social media.
The suspect fired at least 15 to 20 shots, according to McCabe.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was present with law enforcement at a Tuesday media update at the scene.
“I appreciate the quick response of the first responders. My heart goes out to families of this unimaginable tragedy, the affected children, school personnel, and this community. I think this is an important moment to support one another,” Whitmer said.
Whitmer said her office had been in communication with authorities that afternoon.
“This is a uniquely American problem that we need to address but at this juncture, we need to focus on the community, the families, the first responders, and people at hospitals,” Whitmer said. “I think this is every parent’s worst nightmare.”
At 12:51 p.m., the first 911 call was placed to central dispatch. McCabe said dispatch received more than 100 calls during the incident. The sheriff’s office responded to an active shooter at the high school in Oxford Township about 12:55 p.m. Deputies responded within five minutes of the call.
“We’re hearing all kinds of rumors about warning signs,” McCabe said. “The deputy assigned to the school was not aware of any warnings. If there were, I gotta believe they would have told us.”
McCabe said he did see a screenshot of the suspect warning people not to come to school.
“Please be careful of the information, I can’t confirm whether it’s true or not,” McCabe said. “We are executing a search warrant at the suspect’s house.”
The suspect’s parents briefly saw their son. McCabe said the parents did not want him to talk to the police.
“He was in class today,” McCabe said. “We don’t know if they were targeted. I can tell you Oxford Community Schools have been trained multiple times on active shooters and training their personnel and students.”
Three sweeps of the high school were completed.
All parents and relatives have been notified. A deputy has been assigned to every family of the victims.
McCabe said the suspect could be charged as an adult, but it will be up to the prosecutor.
Multiple patrol units, EMS, SWAT, and aviation units responded to the scene.
All evacuated students went to the Meijer on N. Lapeer Road to be reunited with parents or relatives.
The FBI will be providing assistance to investigators if necessary.
Investigators will be interviewing all 1,800 students who attend the school.
The school will not be in session on Wednesday.
The weapon used was a 9mm pistol that was bought by the suspect’s father four days ago, according to Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard. There were multiple magazines found by deputies.
The suspect surrendered in front of officers in the hallway. The suspect declined to speak, and his parents have hired an attorney, according to the sheriff.
Within two to three minutes after deputies arrived, they had the suspect in custody. The sheriff’s office is doing a deep dive into the suspect’s social media during their investigation.
Residents who have any information about this incident can call 248-858-4911.
Oxford Community Schools issued the following statement:
“This afternoon there was an active shooter at Oxford High School. Oakland County Sherriff’s Department has secured the scene. Oxford High School students and staff are systematically being evacuated to the Meijer Garden Center and may be picked up there. Any students with their own transportation have been allowed to leave. All other district schools are in lockdown for safety purposes and are in no danger. Students at middle and elementary schools may be picked up by their parents at any time. Bussing transportation will be delayed at Oxford Middle School and elementary schools until the needs of the high school students have been met. We will continue to share information with you as we can.”
Attorney General Dana Nessel issued the following statement:
“My heart goes out to the parents who have lost their children and to the students, teachers, staff, and families reeling from the tragedy of a school shooting within their community. My department has reached out to local law enforcement to offer assistance as this investigation unfolds and I want to extend my sincere gratitude to first responders on the scene.
We must act to properly address gun violence in our schools and the ongoing threat of another unconscionable tragedy if we continue to only offer thoughts and prayers. Our kids deserve better.”
Copyright 2022 WNEM. All rights reserved.