A gas leak caused evacuations in Bay City Tuesday morning.
It happened just after 8 a.m. near the intersection of Main Street and Germania Avenue.
Bay City Fire Chief Karey Prieur said a back hoe operator from a private company hit the underground line. Thirty five people, including children, were evacuated from the daycare nearby. Three residents in nearby homes were also evacuated, Prieur said.
Saginaw-based Rohde Brothers Excavating was doing work on a water project when a worker sawed through a 6-inch gas line. They believed the line was abandoned and not in use.
Inside that line is a smaller 2-inch active natural gas line. According to Rohde Brothers, the crew had no idea the 2-inch line was there until they hit it.
The leak was repaired by 9:30 a.m. Consumers Energy crews checked the gas level in the building and the evacuation was lifted.
Erin Wilson works at the daycare.
"By the time we made it to the back of the building the police were coming in and asked us to completely evacuate all the way to the pier," Wilson said.
The daycare had to close for the day, but Wilson is glad everything worked out.
"It's just one more thing that I can add a notch in my belt and I know what to do next time something like this happens. God forbid it ever happens," Wilson said.
The incident will be investigated by Consumers and Rohde Brothers.
Copyright 2018 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.