A Davison Township man accused of running over his girlfriend with a car in June has been bound over to circuit court.

Davison Township Police said they were called to the 9000 block of Davison Road for an unconscious woman on the south side of the road about 4:15 a.m. on June 2.

Medical crews said she didn’t have a pulse and was not breathing. Despite their efforts, 26-year-old Tyesha Kemp, of Davison, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kemp’s boyfriend, 28-year-old Brandon Scott Merrow, of Davison, was quickly identified as a suspect in her death and was arrested.

"Police were able to determine that the car hit her. She flipped up in the air, hit the windshield, rolled around and then hit the back window breaking that before she went to the ground," Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said.

He was originally charged with the following: First-degree premeditated murder, which is punishable upon conviction by life without parole Failure to stop at the scene of an accident when at fault resulting in death, a 15-year felony Witness intimidation, a 10-year felony Tampering with evidence, a 10-year felonyThe premeditated murder charge has been amended to operating while intoxicated causing death.

"The defendant and the victim had been out in various establishments if you will. We think they got into it and then went home and then she left on her own," Leyton said. "There's a lot of physical evidence of her contacting his car right where there's damage to his car and on the areas where there's damage we found her clothes, bits of her hair and she has a bad shoulder laceration that matches up directly with a piece of the car."

Leyton said the suspect returned to the scene later that morning with the victim's mother in an attempt to "cover up his crime."

"This is an unusual set of facts. I haven't had anything quite like this before that I can remember. Going back to the scene is something you see more with arson cases instead of a fatal accident case like this," Leyton said.

Kemp's family is struggling to come to terms with her death.

"She would tell me that I'm OK, that I can get through this," said Ereka Bunn, Kemp's sister.

The two have been tied at the hip since the Bunn family adopted Kemp at 6-weeks-old. Bunn said they were best friends.

"She was so loving and caring. She always wanted to make sure everyone was OK," Bunn said.

She said her heart sank when she heard what had happened.

"We're trying to be strong for each other, get her laid to rest and then deal with our emotions," Bunn said.

Bunn said Kemp was a loving mother to 2-year-old Gavin Gerald. She started her journey to becoming a nurse back in high school, earning a full ride scholarship for all of her schooling. She finally reached her goal and was a nurse at McLaren-Flint.

"She would tell me stories about how happy she was that she got to save people," Bunn said.

Bunn said she is still trying to come to terms with her sister's unexpected and violent death.

"We were never prepared for this. Tyesha was the one who did everything right. She was the one who had a good credit score, paid her bills on time, took care of her son. So for something like this to happen to her is such a shock," Bunn said.

Merrow's next court date has not been set.

Copyright 2018 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Continuous News Manager


Recommended for you