Seven children at a Florida private school were hospitalized after eating nicotine candy.
FLFR responded to a day care where 7 children accidentally ingested Nicorette mints. All children transported to Broward health in stable condition. pic.twitter.com/B9TYNoh0xM— FLFR PIO (@FtLaudFire) September 14, 2018
One of the students brought nicotine-laced lozenges called Nicorette from home, according to investigators.
Nicorette is a nicotine replacement product commonly used by smokers to help them quit.
Officials said the children, who were between the ages of 9 and 12, competed to see who could eat the most. Once child downed 10 pieces.
"Vomiting, irregular heartbeat, increased blood pressure -- sometimes can cause seizures in high doses," said Dr. Hector Ortiz, an emergency room pediatrician. "But I think these children are going to do well."
One of the children who got six said they thought the medication was candy.
"We thought it was candy and he gave me two of them, and then I had put it in my mouth. I was holding it, then I spit it out and then my stomach started, and I was shaking, and I threw up," Jaheim Moore said.
Moore told his father his friend didn't get the lozenges from home.
"He is saying he bought it from a store," Edward Moore said. "He bought it from a store and I don't see why the store sold him that nicotine medicine."
Ortiz said this cautionary tale is a good reminder.
"Medications, they have to be kept in a place where (children) cannot reach them, because all of these medications could be dangerous," Ortiz said.
All seven children had to remain under observation for six hours but were expected to be OK.